Wednesday, December 9, 2009

A recipe!

Someone pointed out to me that it’s the food blogs that are most popular. They have recipes. I have a collection of food blogs myself. People are so generous about sharing what they know with the world. Any time I want to know how to go about making a Curry or a Paella or a Pizza, there are hundreds of thousands of people willing to share with me. I don’t have enough space to house cook books and in any case I used to buy a book for one or two recipes that attracted my attention and never tried out the rest. I like the idea of typing up a key word and choosing the best on offer, then printing up a page – one page. If the recipe is a success, I will keep the page, if not, it gets tossed without too much angst about having spent a fortune on a book and feeling obliged to keep it.

As I am obviously not a food blog, I thought it might be more fitting to give out a playdough recipe. It’s not mine, and I can’t attribute because I don’t remember where I got it. But it’s better than a previous one I had because there’s less oil. That means you don’t get greasy bench tops. My granddaughters aren’t in the habit of putting things in their mouth but the combination of ingredients making up this recipe aren’t toxic. I mean, I wouldn’t encourage anybody to drink the food colouring, but I don’t think that a drop in a huge pot of dough can’t do any harm. And the rest are obviously okay.
If you keep it in a tightly covered container, it practically keeps forever. (Naturally throw away the bits and pieces that have dropped to the floor or are dirty.)

So here is my first and final offering. Hope you can make some use of it :)

Playdough
3 cups flour
1 ½ cups salt
6 teaspoons cream of tartar
3 cups water
3 tablespoons oil
Several drops of food colouring added to the water

Mix all ingredients in large saucepan or skillet over medium – low heat, stirring constantly. Keep stirring till mixture cleans bowl. Remove from heat.. Cool slightly. Knead dough until pliable. Store in plastic bag or airtight container.

No comments: